The best way ensure security is not following a simple checklist. First, take the time to do an assessment of your mission critical systems.
Pull your team together and ask about which systems and processes your organization relies on the most. It is best to assume that what can go wrong will. If something went wrong with those systems, how would you handle it? Who would you call for help?
Document your scenarios and response strategies and tuck it away for when things go sideways. Even if you hit something new and unexpected, it is likely one of your documented solutions will help guide you through the challenge.
Once you've done that audit and have documented your response strategies, then a checklist like this one can be helpful in making sure you're doing what you can to prevent things from going wrong.
10 Web Security Tips for 2023
- Implement multi-factor authentication for all users (including remote access) for all mission critical technology, financial accounts, and websites.
- Utilize a secure firewall to protect your network from external threats.
- Keep all software and systems up to date with the latest security patches.
- Educate your staff on cyber security best practices, including password management and avoiding phishing scams.
- Use a secure web hosting service with data encryption, backups, and secure physical access.
- Conduct regular vulnerability scans and penetration tests to identify security weaknesses.
- Regularly backup all of your data in case of a cyber attack or system failure.
- Monitor your network traffic and logs regularly to detect any suspicious activity.
- Use a secure VPN to protect your data when accessing the internet.
- Consider investing in cyber insurance to cover the costs of a breach.
Quarter 1 is a great time to assess your mission critical systems, make a contingency plan, and then put best practices in place to help make sure you're less likely to need that plan!